Tuesday, September 17, 2002

The Song That Rots Your Brain

Sometimes it can be the first tune on the radio-alarm clock, listened to through sleepy dust and the final frames of a dream. Sometimes it is the tune that Random Guy At The Bus Stop is singing along to on his mini-disc. Whatever the source, sometimes you get hit by a tune that you just can’t get out of your head for the rest of the day. Sometimes the song might be a classic by Marvin Gaye or Frank Sinatra, but usually the world conspires against you and locks in something a little less community-friendly.

For example,

“I know a song that’ll get on your nerves, get on your nerves, get on your nerves…
I know a song that’ll get on your nerves, get, get, get on your nerves!”

[Repeat until people kill you]

…is the ultimate, kids-spawned, mind rotter.

Today’s verse - that has clamped onto my head like a parasitic Alien – was implanted earlier this morning in the staff canteen:

“There is a circus in the town, in the town!
[Insert name] is a clown, is a clown!”


It’s doing my nut in, and what’s worse is that I’m trying to find the best name – from all my friends and associates – in order to make the thing flow and rhyme at it’s optimum level. I can’t help myself, and now I’ve passed on the affliction to you.

Sing it with me.

No comments: