Wednesday, September 10, 2003

365 Days Later

Tomorrow this blog is one year old. Happy birthday Blog.

However, as it's September 11th tomorrow, I won't be celebrating the fact this on-line diary has out-lived my previous pen and paper diaries by at least 49 weeks. No, tomorrow -- as long as I'm not in the middle of labour -- will be a quiet day of reflection. I shall close my eyes and remember the images of two years ago. And although I don't believe in God, I shall say a little prayer for those who perished.


Jump London

Channel 4's Jump London -- a documentary about the French pioneers of Free Running -- was shown last night and it was spellbinding. The master gymnasts / acrobats / stuntmen / fitness freaks free-ran 14 of London's most famous buildings and landmarks in a single day. And in some style, using precision jumps, leaps of faith, wall-crawling and cat leaping to turn the city into a playground. Their philosophy is a progressive mix of Bruce Lee's martial arts and Star Wars Jedi.

Unfortunately the program's use of drum and bass, cut-aways, and stupid camera angles / close-ups meant the viewer missed much of the classy action. But as a showcase for this new urban sport -- basically a pure form of extreme sports (e.g. skateboarding without the board) -- it was an impressive and unparalleled success.

It made me wish I was 16, fit, flexible and ten stones again. Pass me my running shoes.

Here's the best UK Free Running site I could find. Check out some of the (large) black and white jpegs for a taste of what it's all about.


Baby Update

I assembled the cot last night. It's a honey coloured cage. With a cute Humphrey Elephant Musical Mobile that Vic's workmates bought us. We're all set.

No comments: