Thursday, September 12, 2002

The New Pyjamas

This morning my wife accused me of loving my new pyjama trousers more than I love her *.

This accusation is of course wildly inaccurate: I love the PJ trousers marginally less than her.

For years - a whole sixteen in fact - I've been a naked sleeper. The freedom of movement, the feel of fresh cotton sheets or a nice soft duvet against one's atheletic body, the chance to kick off the covers and instantly cool off on a hot summer's night, all contribute to the "Support Nude Snoozing" cause. Pyjamas were dumped along with Clarks shoes during my teenage awakening years.

The only trouble with sleeping sans bed clothes is when you go visiting friends and family - or they visit you - and sleep over. Midnight encounters with the Loch Ness Monster on the way to the bathroom are to be avoided - especially when at the in-laws. Marks and Spencer pants ** are normally employed to protect my dignity.

But for the last couple of years I have become tired of wearing pants at bedtime. I have longed for a pair of cool and trendy PJ trousers. However, being a cheapskate of the highest order, I've been reluctant to purchase a pair at full High Street retail price, so have spent the last 12 months hunting through the bargain bins of "the sales", searching for the nightwear golden ticket.

The Holy Grail of Z Time was unearthed duing the summer's Next sale. Blue-checked, soft to the touch, airy, plenty of room for the Ikea Snake to roam unhindered. So comfortable and not "grandaddy" at all. They are fantastic!

I suppose it's a sign that I'm getting old, but I can't believe it's taken me so long to rediscover the simple pleasures of pyjama bottoms.

"I am sorry that you were forsaken for sixteen years..."

I love my new jimjams!


* In a soft and gentle joking way.
** But these are NEVER pistachio coloured: There is only one pair of The Legendary Pistachio Pants.

No comments: