Tuesday, November 12, 2002

The Name's Bond. Sticky Bond.

I'm writing this entry through red eyes. Although not quite "welled-up", there has been sufficient moisture generated that I've had to blink back the emotional mists. The reason?

You know how you have just a handful of friends who you really connect with. People who share the same sense of humour, enjoy the same things, and have a similar out-look on life as you do. Brightly coloured shiny fish in your personal pond. People who you love spending time with, love seeing - no matter how short the time, and indeed usually love full stop.

When your connections with these special people are broken, it can be very upsetting. For example, having my best mate (and best man) Rob living out in Chicago means I just don't see him anymore. We used to be like brothers, as thick as thieves, even closer than the Mitchell family. A few short trips, quick telephone conversations and email lines can never make up for the lack of quality time spent together. As time passes, it naturally becomes harder and harder to instantly "reconnect" when we do see each other. Seeing and feeling the strong bonds that tied weaken is sad and traumatic.

These feelings normally arise from friends within your first Circle of Friends. The Inner Sanctum of people you see regularly and are very close to. Sometimes they arise with those outside of this group.

Yesterday I got melancholy when I began thinking about how I hadn't seen Tony Boydell for a while. Tony and I are friends from Magic. We share the same sense of humour, enjoy the same things, share a similar-ish out-look on the world. We shouldn't be that close, and on paper aren't - Tony has never met my wife or visited my home, I haven't met Tony's wife and small army of children or visited his home - but for some reason I LOVE TONY, and would trade much to spent a hour in his company.

But Tony has given up Magic, and my interest isn't what it was. The realisation dawned that I'm unlikely to see much of Tony in the future. Our big connection - meeting up at Magic tournaments and playing our silly games - is broken. Our regular email correspondence - poked along by Magic sticks - has petered out to a few lines now and again.

I was beginning to mourn the demise of our short friendship. I was getting sentimental and foolish.

It was therefore very exciting and uplifting * to discover a new referral to my blog from www.tonyboydell.blogspot.com this morning. I can now catch up on what Tony is doing and thinking every day to my hearts content. A thread of the bond has been reconnected. I'm a happy bunny and now realise the true power of blogs.

The power to (re)connect people. Whether friends or strangers.


If you're a stranger to Tony, I'd recommend keeping an eye on his blog. He's a fab writer - his legacy to Magic is being the best internet writer the hobby has ever known (he always pushed the envelope). He's a sensitive soul and a cuddly family man. He's also extremely funny once he gets his humour engine up and running...

Happy Birthday Tony and start your engine please!


* no, not uplifting (or exciting) in THAT sense!

No comments: