Thursday, November 21, 2002

A Stitch In Time

And we had Marks & Spencers very tasty strawberry-flavoured Squeelingly Fizzy Piglet sweets for afters.

I've just realised that with the recent spate of recipes and film & book reviews, this blog is starting to resemble a women's magazine rather than a man's diary. My Wonderful World is becoming a Woman's World. I'll be sewing quilt covers next!

The last piece of sewing I did - apart from stitching up my gaping imaginary war wounds with a fish hook, by myself, macho Rambo style - was at school in Needlework, a good 18 years ago.

I made a fabric pencil case with a picture of a lion on it. The lion was made of felt: Yellow face, brown mane and nose, big white eyes with little round black pupils. Antelope carrion hanging from blood-stain gob.

It took me ten weeks to make it and was crap.

But it wasn't as bad as my brother's attempt at knitting a 2 foot tall penguin.

He managed to knit all of two inches of orange beak in his ten week Needlework stint, and my gran had to finish it off for him. It took her all of a morning to whip up the Woolly Emperor.

Gran goes into hospital next week for an exploratory Op.

As usual I didn't know where this blog entry would end up when I started writing it - you just go with the flow. But how its ended, with the prior talk of stitching up wounds, makes me feel uncomfortable. I'll leave as is for now, as if I start getting sentimental, it'll ruin the tough macho elements of the post...

No comments: