Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Having Fun?

Yesterday was completely unproductive: Everything that could go wrong with my laptop and the other IT systems did so. I got home stressed that my Transatlantic trip was turning into a nightmarish waste of time.

Today started the same, just cranked-up a notch. Things got even better at lunch time, when out-of-the-blue over our Chicago deep-pan pizza, Amy (the Finance Mgr here) announced that she is quitting at the end of next week due to "personal reasons".

I wish I'd taken a camera to capture the picture of her seven direct reports faces. Stunned. White. Ghostly. Jaws dropped.

Nobody said a thing.

Amy burst into tears and left the table. As the most remote person there, I followed -- I like Amy and hate seeing people upset -- she was OK, just needed a breather. When she got back to the table, it was really weird: Still nobody said a thing, they just got on with lunch as if nothing out of the ordinary had happened.

Back at the office, I have an email from the UK, asking me to call my managers home. He asks if I'd like to stay on for another week in Chicago to help support the remaining Finance Team and soften the blow of Amy's sudden departure.

Hello Graeme, I have my grandfather's funeral on Monday!

So not only have I done f-all work so far, I'm now the go between agent for Amy and my Director back in the UK. Caught in the crossfire. Fantastic! Best thing is they'll probably offer me the job for the end of January. Too late folks -- we're buying a new house!

[Sigh]

Last night's food & entertainment was:
California Pizza Kitchen pizza (1x pepperoni, 1x pear and blue cheese)
2nd Qtr of Green Bay v St Louis
2 hours of Star Wars Battefront on the PS2.

Tonight's food and entertainment is:
Food unknown
Shopping
More Star Wars probably

No comments: