Monday, July 21, 2003

Ear We Go, Ear We Go, Ear We Go!

No scalpel and no Van Gogh profile. The strains of Little Green Bag are not playing. It's something to do with the cartilage, rather than a cyst, or cancer, or cauliflower ears. The Doc said to leave it -- the growth will either disappear or grow to the size of a pea. If it gets pea-sized, they'll whip it off, anything smaller isn't worth the mess and risk of infection.

I look like a freak.



The School Play Review

I didn't get round to blogging up my review of the WWII epic put on by Emma's school. I was truly amazed by their talents. We had laughed beforehand about what I would have written for them to act -- a full blown reconstruction of the whole war -- but I've got to say that they could have coped with anything.

As it was, the play was the usual "what was it like for the children of London during the Blitz?!" affair. We got excited at the scene listing in the programme -- "The D-Day Landings" & "Pearl Harbour" -- which seemed to promise papermache arms and legs being blown-off Saving Private Ryan style, but unfortunately Emma's glue budget must have dried up so the Special FX were restricted to radio announcements and sounds of The Mysterons / Cybermen attacking.

Best line (apart from the one below) was:

"Frank, meet Hank... Hank, meet Frank..."

Here's the PC email I sent to Emma the next day (for reading out to the kids). Typically she has failed to respond.

"Hello Emma / Miss C

Just a quick note to tell you how much I enjoyed last night's school play.

I thought the acting, dancing and singing was of an excellent standard. So too, the costumes and set design.

The rousing finale was particularly passionate and moving. Gareth and I sang along with the chorus of "There will always be an England". Cracking, patriotic, stuff.

My favourite line of the play was:

"Let's 'ava cuppa tea!" -- it summed up all that is great about Britain and captured the spirit of the East End of London during the Blitz. People supporting each other in the country's darkest hour.

The hall looked great too: I loved the painted aeroplanes -- they gave the hall the right atmosphere.

Two slight disappointments for me:
1) The homemade lemonade ran out before I got a glass.
2) You didn't sing the "Spam, spam, spam, spam!" song.

Never mind...

I'm really looking forward to the next play. Well done everyone!

All the best

Nobby

(Not Scott)"

No comments: