Tuesday, July 22, 2003

Road Kill Rewards

On the way into work this morning I had the pleasure of seeing three baby ferretts cross the road in front of me. They glided their way across like a silk ribbon, snaking in formation, red fur glimmering in the sun.

They were lucky I didn't run them over.

The road from Thame to Postcombe is currently a prime road kill hot spot. A Death Valley for critters. Today's tally was:

1 Badger
1 Fox
3 Rabbits
1 Hedgehog

When I see a large animal -- such as the badger or fox -- dead at the roadside, I always feel ashamed that it was one of Man's machines that caused it.

The only winners of the carnage are the Red Kites that flock down to Death Valley to pick up the carrion. These magnificent giant birds have been accused of decimating the local wildlife populations, but in fact just eat carrion, rather than hunt and kill fresh meat.

I suppose that in the end we're swapping the beauty of the fox for the beauty of the red kites.

I must get some black rabbit-silhouette kill transfers for my car.


Big Brother

I've got £2 on Cameron at 6-1. Sweet, considering he's now odds-on favourite to win it. At the time I put my prudent little bet on, Lynn at work followed my lead putting on a massive £10, despite the fact she "never gambles".

Yesterday she revealed it wasn't £10 she'd staked, but actually a whopping £50! So if Cameron wins, that's a rather nice return of £350, or a profit of £300.

That's six pairs of shoes ladies.

No comments: